top of page

Deposition of Wazir Khan and Pir Zahoor Ali Dated 3rd March 1859 Giving Some Accounts of Firuz Shah (Karim Us-Shuja).

Deposition of Wazir Khan and Pir Zahoor Ali Dated 3rd March 1859 Giving Some Accounts of Firuz Shah (Karim Us-Shuja).

Secret Papers


March 16, 2023 at 7:07:18 AM

Deposition of Wazir Khan and Pir Zahoor Ali Dated 3rd March 1859 Giving Some Accounts of Firuz Shah



July 24, 2022 at 8:00:00 PM


Mohammed Q. Binghalib


Mughal Library Copyright WaterMark.png

Translated and Edited


Mohammed Q, Binghalib

 of the

Deposition of Wazir Khan and Pir Zahoor Ali Dated 3rd March 1859 Giving Some Accounts of Firuz Shah.


On the reoccupation of Delhi by the BF, he left Delhi with the retreating rebels crossing the Jamuna at Mathura, they (rebels and Wazir Khan also) came to Bewar 6 where he was separated from the mutineers. He went to Farrukabad where he remained for about 2 months and met  Firoz Shah who came there after his defeat at Agra in September (Sept. 1858).

3 days before retaking Farrukabad he left that place for Bareilly and Firoz Shah went away to Lucknow. Firoz Shah came to Bareilly where Wazir Khan met him again. After the battle of Bareilly, Wazir Khan left that place with Feroz Shah, went towards Bangarmhow. Feroz Shah remained there during the rains (rains of 1858) and returned back to Mohamdi since which time both are there.


Feroz Shah is a near relative of King of Delhi being either his grandson or nephew. About 2 years before the outbreak, he went on a pilgrimage to Mecca and on his return landed in Bombay when the rebellion was at its height. He was proceeding to his home at Delhi. When on reaching Dholpur enroute, and finding the road unsafe, he remained there for a few days, but on being informed by the Raja of Dholpur that his remaining there any longer might lead to his capture as being a relative of King of Delhi, he fled to Gwalior (Morar ki Chhawni), where the mutineers from Mhow had previously arrived. He accompanied them in their attack on Agra where by were defeated by the British troops.

Firoz Shah then separated from the greater part of the Mhow-Indore mutineers and went into Mewat with about 10-12 followers and remained there for sometime. On arrival of the Jodhpur Legions in Mewat, he accompanied them to Farrukabad, remaining there for a short time with the intention of going towards Lucknow. When about to leave Farrukabad, the rebelled 41 st N1 prevented him from going and placed him at their head. On retaking of Farrukabad by the 
British Forces, Firoz Shah went to Lucknow where he remained till that place was reoccupied by the British. Leaving Lucknow, he went via Shahjehanpur to Bareilly. After a few days he left Bareilly with about 1 50 followers with the intention of going to Naseerabad.

On evening of arriving at Moradabad enroute, a collusion with the Nawab of Rampur troops was forced upon him by their m t permitting him to halt unmolested them during the night for rest as he wished. On that occasion in their narration, opening their guns on him Firoz Shah charging out the head of 150 horse captained them. 1600 guns routed the Nawab’s troops. Moradabad fell into his hands. Thence he marched to Bareilly taking the captured Rampur’s guns with him and remained at Bareilly till the place was retaken. On the approach of the British troops, Nana who had come to Bareilly a month before, and was Khan Bahadur Khan’s guest, offered to march out and give battle to the British of Khan Bahadur would place his troops under his command. The Khan did so. Nana marched out at their head but instead of advancing to meet the British he tempered with the troops that had been enticed to him by promises of increased pay, caused him off into Oudh. The Nawab of Farrukabad and Naseerabad - Masum Alee Khan and other leaders who were at the time at Bareilly accompanied by Nana.


On reoccupation of Bareilly by the British troops; Feroz Shah, Khan Bahadur Khan, Ismail Khan and other leaders who had remained for its defense retreated to Mohamadi where was the Maulana Ahmadoola Shah. From there Firoz Shah proceeded to Sundela, the police of which place fled on his approach. He stayed there during the rains, the whole distt. having fallen into his possession.

After the same he left Sundeela and went towards Mohamdi and had several encounters with the British troops, retreating there, arrived at Biswa Baree where another fight took place. Continuing his retreat he arrived at Mohemdabad from where he escaped the Ganges unopposed between Fatehgarh and Cawnpur with about 2,000 fighting men, 1500 were cavalry. When about to cross the Jamuna canal he came unexpectedly in contest with a British detachment. Firoz Shah was at the time siding with Wazir Khan, and about 50 sawars at a distance of about a mile on the flank of his main column. He thereupon rode to the main column to bring, up his troops and returned with about 300 cavalry which alone he could collect at the moment. With these he determined to engage the detachment and formed his men in 3 divisions charging himself in front. Pir Zahoor Alee on the left, and the Wordy Major of the 12 th Irregular cavalry Regt, on the right. He could not take the guns and retreated after a severe encounter to Tulfun - a British Officer was hurt in the fight and many rather on their side. On our side only one man by name Risaldar Niaz Mohd. Khan formerly bafadar on the 16th Irregular.


Feroz Shah going towards Deedawana in Mewar, the covering party of 12th Irregular of Pirjee’s whom I accompanied retreating to Laxmangarh 11 and Sikar we did not effect a function again for 2 or 3 days.


At first none of the leaders disposed to surrender as they were not aware of the safety of their lives, but in some of the English papers falling into my hands and on reading about the amnesty I

opened the subject for surrender to Firoz Shah the only leader who know would take my advice. He willingly understood the proposal and discussed the matter with the Rao Saheb, when it was agreed that a copy of the amnesty should be procured and its contents well understood. We had no opportunity of getting one, however till we arrived in the Bikaner territory the question of surrender them mooted, was broken up as has been above related.


On the last occasion at Akola, Firoz Shah after getting all his officers to agree to the proposal of surrender sent Wazir Khan with the Darpan Gaure and Imam Alee.

Feroz Shah and Rao Saheb went off from Raoraja on learning of the approach of a column which might have cut off their retreat. I believe if they had received the guarantee of life conveyed in Gen. Michel’s notification they would have come in. For the Shahzada Feroz Shah at last I an speak with confidence. He wept when he parted from me, and wished he could accompany me (Wazir Khan) with safety.


Firoz Shah’s age is about 22. He is of a good disposition, he has always borne the character of Talib-ul-ilm, or a seeker of knowledge, has learnt Arabic and other general languages. He has

invariably opposed to plundering during our recent wonderings, and has on several occasions severely punished his followers for committing excess.


The Rao presented Nazar to Feroz Shah on the two forces uniting and presented all his Sirdars in farm who also presented Nazar. The Shahzada however, desired all of them on that occasion

to retain entire central of their respective bodies of troops and never interfered with them.


When Feroz Shah joined the Rao Saheb at Indurgarh the former had between 1800 or 1 900 Cavalry (Govt, mutineers) chiefly Irregulars and some 3 or 4 hundred of undisciplined horsemen.


The 12th Irregular cavalry entirely was with Feroz Shah and the 5 lh Irregular entirely with the Rao, the rest were composed of soldiers single or as parties up to the strength of a troop from all the different regiments.


Deposition of Pir Zahoor Ali

Joining Firoz Shah and the 12th Irregular Cavalry, at Mahmoodabad, we turned toward this side (south).

bottom of page